Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Daddy/Daughter Date in DC

Me and my buddy Tommy Jefferson
Eating out at "Windows Over Washington"
Dad and Daughter at Jefferson Memorial


I just returned from a great Memorial Day weekend in Washington DC with one of my daughters. The kids went to DC when they/we were younger, but this particular daughter recently expressed a desire to go back. (In one of her college classes this year she had read "Night", by Eli W. and wanted now to visit the National Holocaust Museum. I had seen it twice in recent years and so offered to take her, tour it with her. As expected, it was a sobering, but a most memorable learning experience.) Additionally, we attended the National Memorial Day Concert on the west steps of the U.S. Capital. It was a great concert!

One of my daughters and I at the PBS Concert



After the concert we were surprised that our subway train had closed. So rather than take a taxi, we opted to walk/see the Memorials along the National Mall at night. The Lincoln Memorial is always spectacular at night, but so too was the new WWII Memorial with its fountains. The long walk back to our hotel in Crystal City took 1.5 hours, but I had been going on runs in this area repeatedly on previous D.C. trips so I knew the way.

I especially enjoyed yet another large city "Parade" exhibit.... Crystal City/Pentagon City area was hosting a fun "Planes on Parade" (like these exhibits I have seen in various cities: Cows on Parade in Kansas City, Salmon on Parade in Anchorage, Buffalo on Parade in Salt Lake City, Pigs on Parade in Cincinnati, Mustangs on Parade in New Mexico, etc.)





The following day we sat curbside at the beginning of the annual National Memorial Day Parade. This too was enjoyable.

We walked then to the impressive Jefferson Memorial, one of my favorite places, and decided to rent a 2-seater paddle boat. We had a "spash"/blast paddling in the Tidal Basin of the Potomac. Returning to the west end of the National Mall we walked the path along the VietNam and Korean War Memorials. Thereafter, we had supper at one of my favorite buffets in DC: George Washington University Hospital Cafeteria, ha ha. It's great food!...and just steps away from the Foggy Bottom subway stop on the Blue/Yellow subway line.) Later that night we subwayed our way up to Chinatown and walked around before returning to our Courtyard by Marriott hotel back near Reagan National Airport. Our room overlooked the Potomac, we had an enjoyable stay there, albeit initially somewhat noisey as thousands of "bikers" were in DC for the Memorial Day weekend, vets honoring those missing in action/prisoners of war(s). The weather was wonderful the entire time. But the best part was being with one of my kids. They grew up all too quickly! This was a rare opportunity to forge memories with her.



I'm glad to be home now, however. It's colder here, the winds blow, and it is not nearly as green as the Atlantic Coast. But it is quiet and peaceful here, and I've a garden to till and plant!
Be well, do good...

2 comments:

Roger said...

Thaqts so cool that you got to go out to DC. My sister Lois is there now and says that she loves it! Thats cool that you also know how to get around the area so well. I know I would get totally lost in DC. Sounds like you had a great time.

britt said...

Hey dad, that sounds so cool! I'm glad you and Chels had fun:) Are you gunna put any pictures up? Love u!