Saturday, October 17, 2009

Springville Museum of Art & the Provo City library
















I've long wanted to leave on this blog, a posting of two of my favorite places: The Springville Museum of Art and the Provo City library, both in Utah County of Utah. I knew nothing of either of them until our eldest daughter attended BYU and we began going to Provo on visits.
Provo Library at Academy Square is a beautiful restoration project of the origianal Brigham Young Academy. I'm told that near-by resident and well-known actor Robert Redford contributed largely to this project. Both inside as well as outside, the fine woodwork, brick, tiles, etc. & architecture are pleasing to the eye. In addition to being a first rate library, it hosts, on a regular basis, some of the most unique and interesting exhibits: calligraphy, small book making, art galleries, wood/gourd/bone carving etc.

I've been to many fine art museums, but my favorite is the small, yet impressive Springville Museum. Nicknamed "Art City", Springville is just south of Provo. Like my favorite little Danish Baltic Seaside town Dragor, just outside of Copenhagen, Springville too, is home to those of the artistic persuasion. I find it ironic that in so many of the places I have traveled, whether Copenhagen's "Amerika Port"; Ashville, North Carolina's walking tour of sculpture; Nauvoo's Relief Society Sculpture Garden, etc., Springville artist Dennis Smith is featured. Unlike any of his other work, the indoor portico/lobby of the Springville Musuem of Art features his whimsical metal work depicting air transportation. While it isn't my favorite (his "Christina" in Denmark has taken that designation), it does represent the warmth and unique feeling of this amazing small art museum. Icelanders and Danes settled in the area generations ago, as such, the Musuem's "Sunday Night Concerts" series sometimes reflect this heritage music.

I no longer have a reason to travel to Provo, so getting to the musuem won't happen like it once did. But, I've learned how to use it's website effectively. Doing so allows one to read about various paintings and artists.

This blog does not do justice to the rare and unique experience of actually being there in person, but I hope it sheds light on two of my favorite places. I hope my children and grandchildren, for whom this blog is mostly intended, will visit both of these places in the future knowing how much I loved being there.
Be well, do good...

No comments: