Monday, July 19, 2010

18th Century Architecture: Rhode Island, part 2










In the last 7 years I've been to Rhode Island 4 times. I really like the place. Perhaps it reverts to a research project I did as a 5th grader. I leaned much then about Roger Williams, Nathaniel Greene, and how "Hope" was/is central to these people.
Near Brown University, high on that hill that looks below on Providence, are amazing old homes, restored. Built between the 1750's and 1820's, these Pre and Post Federalist Era homes are amazing. I'm always intrigued, when I'm in New England, how Revolutionary War era American flags are flown at the entry doors of these homes. Whether it be Annapolis, Maryland; anywhere in Massachusetts, but especially the Beacon's Hill area of Boston; Vermont and New Hampshire; or even little Rhode Island, one walks back in time at these places. The time of Washington, Jefferson, Hamiliton, Adams, and aging Franklin. Slave trader John Brown's home in Providence, was noted by visiting John Adams: "...The finest home in all of America." I toured it twice on this trip. I found the woodwork to be it's most amazing feature.
Be well, do good...

No comments: