Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Gift from Lincoln Center: New York Style Cheesecake

I love New York City.  I love Lincoln Center. I love the culture and ambiance, the concerts, theater, ballet there. (See the movie: "Moonstruck")  I love the Manhattan Temple across the street. I love running in Central Park a few blocks to the east.  I love running along the Hudson River a few blocks to the west. I love Columbus Circle just a few blocks to the south where Broadway begins it's diagonal jaunt into Times Square and Theater District. I love Barnes and Noble across from Lincoln Center.  If I could afford it, I would love to live in the Lincoln Center area, a fine old Brownstone (see a favorite movie: "You've Got Mail") would suit me fine.

Two years ago I learned that the Chamber Society of Lincoln Center would begin something new: monthly live-streaming concerts from one of the Center's smaller auditoriums, "Rose Hall".  LATE NIGHT ROSE was to be the title, it would last 1 hour and begin with a concise pre-concert lecture, include an on-line program with biographies on both composers and performers.  My kind of thing.  I'm not a wine-drinker, but I knew one way to make this a personal, intimate concert evening: headphones with a slice of cheesecake, something I seldom eat, but enjoy greatly.  And so, I've had a great experience these past two years, Thursday nights, once a month.
Live, from Lincoln Center. 7 p.m. in my home, 9 p.m. in New York.
At the conclusion of this years season I wrote a hand-written letter expressing my sincere appreciation for their providing this service.  The letter was passed around among staff and performers and in turn, they sent their own tribute of appreciation to me:  New York Style Cheesecake, shipped over-night.  Since then, we've begun a series of correspondence, via email, and I've made new New Yorker friends: warm and wonderful.

Be Well.  Do Good.

1 comment:

Roger said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I think its awesome that they responded with a cheese cake! Hope you continue to make new friends through your correspondence/travels.