Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmastime in Chicago












Back to the Windy City for history workshops, I managed to take in some of Chicago's cultural advantages recently. "A Christmas Carol" at the Goodman Theater was good. The Chicago Symphony was very good. And "The Nutcracker" by the Joffrey Ballet was amazing, an extremely well-done presentation. Annually, the Joffrey includes a disabled/challened person in the cast. This year it was a young parapalegic, doned in Victorian era children's clothing and era-accurate wheel chair. After the intermission he and his mother were seated behind me. I was able to get glimpses of him excitement from time to time. Pretty cool. "The Auditorium" theater is in and of itself an equally amazing place.
The weather was bitter cold. I lived along Lake Michigan when I was a younger man, for 2 years. I knew from that time how humidity can make "cold" penetrate. I had forgotten. I was glad to be back home. Our -14 pales in comparison to their -14.

I've had a Ryobi Table Router for a while, but just recently have begun to use it. I find working with wood, most of the time, to be enjoyable. But learning to use this router is going to take some time.
Be well, do good...

1 comment:

Roger said...

sounds like you had a great trip. You will have to warm up when you gome out to see us. we still have green grass.