Friday, December 31, 2010

Ring out the Old, Ring in the New...










Lord Alfred Tennyson's poetry, combined with Crawford Gate's music, make for a fine combination. "Ring Out Wild Bells" is a favorite personal hymn. I knew Gates when I was 20 and resided in Beloit, Wisconsin for a few months. He taught music at Beloit College. I like the way he's taken Tennyson's words, set them to his bitter-sweet melody, but then, in the very last part,...
"...Ring in the Christ, that is to be" he ends by resolving the discontenance with a harmonious sweet chord. It's very effective, and very nice.

There have been some years that I was just glad to see gone. As I get older, however, that happens less and less. I certainly feel a sense of peace living where I do on this quiet cul de sac. My back yard and home are places of refuge. I'm coming to understand that in the final analysis, yes, the kids leave home, make lives for themselves, leaving a man and a wife once again, alone. I'm blessed with a fine wife, whom I love. Note her beauty in this recent photo. She gets prettier & more lovely, inside and out, as time goes on. As much as I love my children and granddaughter (who is an absolute joy), and as much as I love being with them, it is Genia, in her company, that I feel most comfortable. She is the heart of our home and family.

I recently saw an interview, (PBS, Charlie Rose episode) with the dean of Harvard's Business School, Clayton Christensen (a fine Danish name). Although only 6 years older than me, he's recently had a stroke as well as undergone treatment for cancer. Given time to think about things, he has recently written an article in the Wall Street Journal about measuring sticks. Said Clay Christensen, "...when I die and have my interview with God, I rather suspect he'll not be concerned with titles, CEO positions, etc., but rather, He will want to know what I did with the talents He gave me to serve and help individuals." Succinct. I like that. When society measures people by standards germane to position, title, economic status, and even within religious circles, people are sometimes ranked and valued by the erroneous measuring stick of what callings or positions they have held, I resonate towards the measuring stick Clay Christensen speaks of: "How have I used my various talents to serve and help individuals at the various points and times in my life?"

Recently, in Denver with our son and one of our daughters, we came across this amazing Courtyard by Marriott lobby with amazing Mardi-gra decor. I've included some of those photos, including their uniquely bright Christmas tree.

At home, our own white Danish Christmas tree with red and gold decor, has aged, it's now yellowed into a dull wheat color. So we retire it now. We'll go back to a tree with multicolored lights and the ornaments used when we had small kids at home. Bring back the old..

Although 8 hours ahead of us, I just watched our Danish Queen Margarethe give her annual New Years Eve address to fellow Danes, live online. I appreciate her optimism as well as the fact that everyone outside Amalaborg Castle, the Danes gathered there, look like me. Ha ha

And so, another year passes, Ring in the New....
Be well, do good.

No comments: