Sunday, July 10, 2011

River Walk







San Antonio, Texas has a wonderful River Walk. Great place. Indianapolis, Indiana has one as well; it's great fun to run along it, even in the winter. I like both places well enough. But I remember reading The Pueblo Chieftain years ago. One elderly lady, a mover-n-shaker kind of gal in Pueblo, was spear-heading this dream project of converting part of down town Pueblo, Colorado into a sort of mini-San Antonio, complete with a River Walk. Pretty ambitious for a city as small as Pueblo. But I watched with interest because I really like anything related to landscape architecture. (Frederick Law Olmstead, designer of Central Park and scores of other civic parks, campuses, etc., has long been a personal hero of mine.) I don't remember her name, but now as I walk or run along this amazing little River Walk area, I always think of her with appreciation. The Pueblo River Walk, an area where the Arkansas River is briefly diverted, is one of my favorite places. I regret that we have to drive 2 hours to be in a city, but, once in Pueblo, I always enjoy going to the River Walk. It's peaceful. Olmstead would have approved.
Be Well. Do Good.

No comments: