Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eating at a Mortuary? Josh Groban Concert






I had a return flight into Denver from Connecticut last week where I picked up 4 Tudor Glass windows I had bought on eBay. Wasn't impressed with Hartford, but that's another story. My wife had job-related training the later part of the week, and so when I got into Denver on Wed., I stayed with our son, who had taken 3 days off work, and then we were joined by my wife, and then one of our daughters who drove into the city as well.
We went to a JOSH GROBAN concert at the Pepsi Center. What a fun entertainer. Great music. But what was best was being together as family. What a pleasant and fun time we had together.
OLINGER MORTUARY, a decades-old established business in Denver, was the mortuary that took care of my maternal grandparents. I knew of the name. With several "branch offices", I was most familiar with the one on 26th and Federal, "Crown Hill Cemetary", not far from our son's apartment, I went there in fact to visit my grandparent's grave sites. What I was surprised by, was the Olinger site nearest downtown, had been sold and then converted into a trendy, swanky, eclectic restaurant named LINGER. The old Olinger Mortuary sign above the building still looks the same during the day, but at night, the O is no longer lite, and the word Mortuary reads "Eatuary".
While the food wasn't great, we did enjoy the dessert menu printed on toe tags, the beverage menu was contained in a doctor's/coroner's metal flip chart case, water was served in replicate embalming fluid bottles with "WATER" painted on the brown glass, etc. We even got a kick out of the toilet in the bathrooms: the sink is on top of the toilet tank so that when finished, one washed his/her hands and the water is recycled to the toilet tank for the next flush. We had so much fun laughing at this restaurant. Great memories!
"Little Man Ice Cream" is next door. What a fun place and what great ice cream. This neighborhood is within walking distance of Denver's Elitchs Garden's Amusement Park, the Denver Childrens Museum, The Denver Aquarium, and the water walkway where Cherry Creek and the Platte River meet. Confluence Park and Riverfront Park are the new refurbished downtown areas/communities/lofts that link 16th Street Mall & downtown Denver (to the east) over I-25 and the Platte. A fine pedestrian bridge spans the interstate linking these communities. It's a great place. If one is going to live in a city, I suspect Denver is as good as any, and this area would be my preference simply because it's so pedestrian.
Still, I think I'm happiest in the nest we've created here at home. I've a backyard, patio with hot tub, greenhouse, and Danish potager gardens where I feel very safe, very content.
Be well. Do good.

No comments: