Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tudor Windows & A Good Race






I won the bid, the only bidder, so it was a great buy actually, for 4 Tudor Windows on eBay this summer. Recently I used my frequent flyer miles to fly to Connecticut to bring them back home. At 101 lbs., they were 1 pound over weight, which caused great problems for me at check-in at Hartford International at 5 a.m. But I had packed them well, and they made the flight home just fine. They're fine old windows with 4 different family crests, and were in a mansion on Long Island, New York, facing the Atlantic. I've some sanding to do in order to remove salt water rust on the metal frames, but I'm pleased to have them. I hope to place them in a bay window configuration in a reading bench area in the little cottage I hope to build.

Western Colorado is known as "The Western Slope." They raise sweet, fine corn. But more noted for their sweet, fine peaches. (Of which we bought 2 boxes, ten bucks a box for "ripe", - perfect for canning/freezing/jams. Yum.) Grand Junction, the home of one of our daughters, is the central hub of this region. Nearby is Palisade, a quiet little town of hard working people, the backbone of our country. It was here that I recently ran, with my new son-in-law, a 5 mile race at the Palisade Peach Festival. My daughter and wife cheered me/us on, it was great! 12th place was a pleasant surprise, but my 6:49 per mile pace was an even more pleasant surprise. The area is much hotter than home, and so I was glad to get back to The Land of Cool Sunshine. But we enjoyed being with part of our family, something that means more and more to me the older I get. All 3 of our children no longer live near us. After having been with them on and off during the summer, I'm back to adjusting to the empty nest once again. Mixed feelings. I've come to accept that this point in time is what I refer to now as "Their Time Now". I don't mean to be cynical, but perhaps age and the bumps along the way have had some effect. It's something I want to be on guard about. I would prefer to be optimistic and up beat. I certainly try to take care of my health. I just had my eyes lasiked, and while I love waking up without reaching for glasses, running without eye glasses, etc., I can no longer, however, read without over-the-counter glasses, and they distort things, I've fallen on stairs twice while wearing them. I'm not sure I would do it again had I the choice again. And I'm certainly aware that our society caters to those in their 20's and 30's. As such, I'm not sure at this point where I fit in it.
But, I'm going to keep on running, and I start my 5th season at the cello in our local community/college symphony. I'm last chair, but participation forces me to practice my great little cello I've named "Miriam". It's good to be around young people. Good too to be part of something bigger than self. AND, to be "Papa" along with my sweet and pretty red-haired "Nana" companion...........pretty cool indeed.

Be well. Do good.

No comments: