Monday, April 7, 2014

Swedish Grandma

I've given much tribute to my Danish heritage. With reason, I'm proud of it. However, recently I've learned of a unique person, my great great grandmother... from Sweden. HELENE SOPHIA RUNDQUIST was the 3rd of five wives married to Danish Christen Pedersen Jensen, my great great grandfather, on Mom's side. Although born in Sweden, she and her family moved to Denmark when she was between 2 and 3 years of age. While she wouldn't have memory of Sweden, her parents would. I'm learning these were poor people. The more-traditional Danish name Helene came after this move to Denmark. I have a great great grandmother from Denmark named Helene, she was married to my great great grandfather Peter Rasmussen. To avoid confusion, I'll refer to this maturnal-side grandmother as Sophia. She died of breast cancer in her mid 40's, shortly before her first grandson was born. She held none of her grandchildren in her arms, yet is a pivotal life in those of us who came after and through her. Her grave is covered with a slab of resolute cement, indicative of her resolute character. Eastdale failed not because of the people, but because of the lack of irrigation watet. I have taken cello lessons for years in nearby Jaroso, never aware until last year, that this grave and grandmother where near by. Now, more frequently, as I drive past this area twice a month, I sometimes divert my trip by going to this grave site and pondering her life. Be Well. Do Good.

No comments: