Sunday, May 4, 2014

From Lighthouse Keeper to Beekeeper

7,600 feet above sea level. It's difficult to get things to grow here: short, cold growing season. But after many years I have apple, pear, apricot, and sour cherry trees. I've 2 new ones now as well: Persimmon and Zone 3 Peach Trees. They blossom.... but with a shortage of bees, they don't get pollinated well. So I get a few fruits, but not much. Hence, my entry into the world of Beekeeping. The goal is that these girls, here in a very private, isolated part of our yard, will not merely make honey, but more especially pollinate these fruit trees, berry bushes, and veggie garden. I learned about them 2 years ago in a great Bee Workshop at Colonial Williamsburg. Since then I've read a lot, attended classes, etc., but I still know very, very little about them. Hand's on now, I hope to learn more. Colony Collapse Disorder is a worldwide problem. Without these pollinators, life as we know it is in jeopardy. Be Well. Do Good.

No comments: